View Single Post
Old 12-06-11, 11:18 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked 2,673 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
Update!Spoke broke right at the nipple end.Upon closer examination the broken spoke was on the driveside where all the spokes were of proper length.(non drive were a little short.)In addition they are 14g.15 g was used on the non drive side as advised on this forum.(good or bad?)Go figure..
Spoke breakage at the thread end is not really related to spoke length. After all, all spokes, like all screws have some unused thread in tension below the nut.

Usually when spokes break at the nipple it's because the nipple doesn't line up well with the line of the spoke causing a bend where the spoke emerges. If the last thread is just inside the nipple so much the worse because the bend will be at a thread rather than the full diameter area. Look at the rest of the wheel and see how the nipples and spokes are aligned.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.