Old 07-13-05, 09:39 AM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by killahkosha
Hrm...barbeque sauce, that sounds great, thanks for the suggestion. My sandwich is just 2 slices of 16 grain wheat bread with a piece of ham on it.

Unless you're using homemade or additive-free/organic BBQ sauce, you're getting a lot of sugar in it. Not really getting around any caloric issues by substituting refined sugars for fat.

If you're eating ham, you could use honey and mustard. Honey's a non-refined sugar source, and its flavor makes up for it sweetness--you don't need a lot for it to improve the food.

Babaghanoush is great, if you enjoy its flavor, and it's mainly composed of eggplant and a little olive oil.

Tahini is very good. The pure stuff is made entirely from crushed sesame seeds--pure protein and a tiny amount of oil. I'm always amazed at how smooth and creamy it is.

Peanut butter is very good for you as long as there is no salt or sugar added, but it may be high in calories (from its oil.)

Before you get anything, read the ingredients on the back of the label. In general, the fewer unrecognizable ingredients on there, the more healthful the food will be. I used to think that this was only what people who were obsessed with their weight did--and just to count calories--but since I started trying to eat better, I've found this practice to be very informative.

Since you're using 16 grain wheat bread, I'll assume that you understand that 'whole wheat' bread is not the same thing as 'whole grain' bread. 'Whole wheat' really doesn't mean much--most bread is made with whole wheat flour. This is a refined and processed food, and it's not very healthful at all. Make sure that the bread you use actually says 'Made with whole cereal grains,' or something similar. I almost bought a loaf at the store yesterday that was labeled 'Whole grain bread' and when I checked the actual ingredients, it said, 'Made with whole wheat flour.' Evidently, there isn't any regulatory standard imposed on the naming of breads like there is on the labeling. That's why ingredient labels are so much more important than any of the package branding information.

Finally, I've found that the more 'whole' (i.e. unprocessed) foods I eat, the less I need to actually feel sated--not full. Try to learn to differentiate the two feelings in your mind. The body just makes due with a lot less than you think it needs.

Good luck!

Last edited by peripatetic; 07-13-05 at 09:48 AM.