Old 12-08-11, 11:57 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canam73
Up hill you may be right. I'd still like to see some data showing it.

As for aero in perfect conditions, there's a reason you DO see time trialists using 808s.
Yes, you see them in time trials because in lab testing under perfect conditions at very specific YAW angles, they are "X seconds faster over 40k." The pros aren't going to take a chance and let the wheels be the reason why they lost by 1 second. Realistically though, rim depth has very little to do with anything. The ride quality and stiffness along with the tire choice probably make a much larger difference. I'm not saying they aren't worth owning though. They are stiffer and tend to be less susceptible to breaking spokes than shallow rims. At least this is what I've been told. I just think they happen look really cool.

You can go custom for something wayy better.
Ask this guy for a quote: http://www.zencyclery.com/
I'll believe it when I see it. "Better" is a very subjective word. The Dura Ace c24 wheels have an asymmetrical spoke bed and are engineered better than any hand-built rim out there. They are freakishly stiff and strong, with only a 20/16 spoke count. I'd be willing to bet they are one of the most durable, if not THE most durable aluminum brake track clinchers under 1400 grams. I can vouch for them at 190 pounds. I've beaten the crap out of these things, bunny hopping and all. Still as true as the day I bought them. I can't say the same for my Reynolds mv32c UL wheels that cost more than twice as much. They went severely out of true after only a few hundred miles, were only 60 grams lighter, and had the hassles of a carbon brake track.

There was a guy around here that ran over his DA c24 clinchers with his car on accident. He claims they were still perfectly true and didn't suffer any damage. If you owned these wheels you would be able to appreciate how nice they really are.