Old 12-20-11, 12:53 PM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I had a similar gathering of my mother's family last weekend. Some of the relatives I don't see often asked about my riding. I was happy to answer. Glad to have them make a connection to something I am interested in as an ice breaker to get a conversation started. Many of them are well aware of my cycling as they see my Facebook updates.

One uncle at that gathering was the one who inspired me to get back into cycling 20 some years ago. In the early 80s, as a HS history and geography teacher, he led students on week long cycling trips from Chattanooga to Savannah, retracing Sherman's March To the Sea. He asked if I'd been riding much, told me about the ride he took this year with one of his grandsons from Chattanooga to Atlanta and suggested we should try to ride some together next year as he prepares for his first cross-country tour.
I'm envious of you having relatives that want to ride with you. Mine are very supportive and encouraging but none have offered to join me. I've only been riding for 3 years but I've grown accustom to people who don't ride not understanding. The best comment was from the friend who said "but you're not wearing those clothes, are you?"