Old 07-14-05, 11:06 AM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, as someone said, to each his own. I can't completely explain it, but I did have a decrease in sugar/carb cravings after a few days of cutting them out completely. That's a benefit I had not experienced on "balanced" systems. And I firmly believe that just as my body tends to build both muscle and fat quickly, whereas someone else may find it difficult to gain weight, it's entirely possible that my body is more sensitive to sugars, or carbohydrates in general, or blood sugar levels, or whatever.

Now, all that said, I understand the arguments against fad diets and that's why I didn't just read a book and start following someone else's program.

Regarding the McDonald's diet, if you can eat 1400 calories per day while only eating McDonald's, good for you. I don't think I have that control, but I haven't tried. I do tend to eat very few calories on low-carb (around 2000 per day, which for my body size is pretty low.) I have a friend in California who once went on an all Krispy-Kreme diet just to prove that you could lose weight on any restrictive fad diet. He did lose weight over a period of ten days of eating nothing but Krispy Kreme donuts and milk.

The bottom line for me is that low-carb diets ARE working for people. Dismiss them and do a disservice. Like anything else, you have to do them right, but so what?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter