View Single Post
Old 12-21-11, 04:40 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LostitoaBianchi
So I was just wondering if there are any people out there who take amphetamines like adderall or vyvanse while touring for a long time.

Generally I dont want to bike when I take those pills because im scared im gonna bonk. For those of you that dont know, these pillls suppress any need you have for food or water. You have to force yourself to eat basically.

But recently I was thinking of taking some on my next tour for those mornings that were just difficult to get going. Im probably using them for the wrong reason, which is not good. In general I dont need the meds to help me when I bike because i find biking works just as well for me to cure my problems.

Anyone have anything to say about this whole topic? Do you tour on your meds?
I'm a little puzzled about just what you're asking here.

I'm more than a little skeptical about the level of diagnosis of ADD/ADHD - it seems to me that children need a chance to run around and let off steam and also need to know when to sit down and shut up. It seems there are ever-more "disorders" that ultimately boil down to a lack of discipline. Unfortunately it also seems that a massive over-diagnosis of "disorders" also makes it harder to take a problem seriously when there really is a serious problem that isn't just down to knowing who's in charge.

That said I'm not sure whether you're talking about taking prescribed medication to control a recognised medical problem or taking something to give you a boost in the morning when you feel lethargic (I feel lethargic most mornings, simply because I'm not a morning person). I'm also puzzled why you need to take medication at all if cycling is all you need - it makes me think your body has what it needs to solve the problem and the pills give you a partial solution while introducing another problem (i.e. the bit about not eating) where cycling would give you a complete solution. So again I'm unclear why you'd even want to take pills that don't offer you anything the riding doesn't.

I'm not medically qualified so take what I've written as an opinion rather than a qualified medical opinion.