View Single Post
Old 12-22-11, 10:33 AM
reddog3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Live Wire
Make a list of lightweight 1" steerers being produced today..........

See my point?

FWIW, 1.125" OXPLAT steerers are lighter, stiffer, AND stronger than the available 1" stuff.

BUT, since you seem above listening to reason, if you hurry with your build you might still be able to get nominated for a 2011 Darwin Award!
Actually I'm not above listening to reason, and have given this some thought, short of actual testing. I'm aware that immediate failure/breakge would be a problem, but would like to think that inspections would catch a problem before it gets to that point if it will.

One thing I'm curious about is the actual load o the steerer tube and how strong it actually needs to be. Obviously the major stress will be at the tube/crown joint area. I'd think there's more strain on the legs to crown connection than on the steerer tube, even though there's two legs. I don't think it needs to be overbuilt- we'll see.

I could just go 1 1/8, but it defeats my purpose.

As I don't weigh much, or run a front brake, and won't bang too many RR tracks or let anyone else ride it... to me it's worth testing. Why err on the cautious side? I'll let you know where to send flowers.