Thread: Odd..
View Single Post
Old 12-25-11, 10:59 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If your goal is weight loss then if you eat less than the amount of calories needed to sustain your current weight you likely will be hungry. You body is saying feed me whether or not you should eat.

There is some evidence that higher protein, lower carb diets may help curb appetite but the evidence is not conclusive and there may be individual variation. There is also evidence that higher fiber diets help reduce appetite. Try a big but low calorie salad before you eat a meal, it may help. Also, a very low fat diet can make a person hungry. However, there is a lot of dispute about how much fat is appropriate and it may depend on what else you are eating. Sorry, it is Christmas, I am not going to look up citations.

The jury is out as to whether smaller more frequent meals help. It seems to help more if you favor a lower fat, higher carb diet because people tend to be hungrier on those types of diets. If they help you, continue to do that.

Limit your weight loss to no more than 2 pounds a week, both to help with hunger and to help maintain muscle mass.

Exercise makes you hungry. But do it anyway because exercise is what will help you keep the weight off once you lose it and it is good for you.

For me, I found I got hungrier the more weight I lost. I am trying to adapt to learn to live with a strong drive to eat.

Last edited by goldfinch; 12-25-11 at 11:03 AM.