View Single Post
Old 12-27-11, 06:20 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
There is obviously a lot of ignorance here about what AD(H)D is and isn't, as ever. Overdiagnosed in childhood though it may be there is far more depth to it than "spastic children with negligent parents." Regardless there seems to be two angles here and they're going to vary enough person-to-person that you should probably do what you may already know is right in your case. The two angles: 1) Is it medically advisable to suddenly change your medication regimen suddenly, and 2) how will a different regimen affect your touring ability? In both cases gradually transitioning as part of your training schedule (if you have one) is probably a good idea. I am not a doctor and for angle #1 you should probably consult yours.

Personally I am on a non-stimulant med and as it has an impact on blood pressure stopping suddenly is not a good idea from me, especially with intense exercise added. Exercise is a critical part of the overall "coping" strategy though so it could be that less or no meds are the way to go. Commuting every day has been a significant boon for me. (Diet matters too.)

One part of my specific situation: when unmedicated I have a noticeable decrease in impulse-control. This has often led to dangerous/aggressive decisions whether riding or driving. Stimulant meds may well have the opposite effect but keep that in mind!

1st post!
That's a great first post, welcome to BikeForums!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.