View Single Post
Old 12-31-11, 07:26 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Entrymax
I was wondering if this was of any significance? The handcrafted thing.

So yeah, I was just wondering if it's worth rebuilding or should I look for a newer bike to use as a base. Also I would if possible like to know if there's anything significant about the frame itself. Thank you
Handcrafted means nothing. Its just a way for Kawamura to advertise that they actually built the bike, not Nishiki. Nishiki was one of dozens of brands back then that did not build their bikes, they just outsourced the production. Names like Univega, Lotus, Centurion, and Nishiki (there are more) all had others build their bikes. That does not make the bikes inferior, they often used good builders. And even brands that built their own bikes outsourced some of their production back then, like Schwinn and Trek.

Is it worth rebuilding? Sure, if you have the time/tools/aptitude/interest, and ability to find parts at a reasonable price. I have built up six Nishiki Internationals in the last two years, all were nice bikes, all went on to new homes.

On the code, google is your friend, there is a thread with all of the Nishiki serial numbers. And of course, you can check component codes as well.

Personally, I would not put DA components on that bike, that is overdoing it.

+1 I would look for some good Suntour parts, they are plentiful and are very reliable. Cyclone is great, sometimes expensive depending on generation (1st generation Cyclone tends to go high).