View Single Post
Old 11-06-02, 09:27 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have Schwalbe studded tires that are similar to the Nokians... with no studs down the middle.

i just re-mounted then last night as the temperature has been around 0C for the last week and we're expecting snow in a few days, but today i've got my other bike, so i don't know the exact width, but about 1.9" or so. it is a 26" MTB tire with non-agressive tread designed for road and off-road use with the studs ONLY on the outside of the tread pattern so that with normal pressure (45-65 psi) the studs do not contact when riding straight ahead on hard surfaces. when off-road or cornering the studs then contact... and when the traction is really needed, you reduce the pressure to 30-45 psi and the tire contact patch increases so the studs bite all the time.

i used these tires for my 10km X2 commute usually 3-4 days/week last winter and they are great... reasonably low rolling resistance and the studs are barely worn after 1 full Winter season (about 1000km or 600miles) of riding on 90% asphalt b/c it doesn't snow that much here in Munich and the plow/salt --

actually i barely notice they're there when i ride straight on asphalt. then they make a loud sound when cornering. when it's bad out i just let a few psi out by hand and the a few days later when it's clear again i pump them up a little more.