View Single Post
Old 07-15-05, 12:19 PM
Hal Hardy

Bikes: Tour Easy recumbent, Giant Boulder SE with an Xtracycle attachment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not clear if you're talking about an entrance fee or a seperate one to ride the trails. If your friends are avoiding the entrance fee by parking down the road and cycling in because cyclists aren't charged, it's kind of a gray area. I doubt there is a rule that says you have to ride all the way from your house. If it is a seperate fee for riding the trails that they aren't paying, then that's just plain dishonest.

Originally Posted by CRUM
And as to your feeling that "public" parks somehow mean they should be free is a throwback to what used to be. That was then, this is now. With all the state budgets hard pressed to meet basic revenue spending requirements, when cuts are needed, the park systems are some of the first to get hit.
I have a federal, state, and county park within 15 miles of me (doesn't everyone?). When I moved here, they were free, so yeah, I'm spoiled. The federal park started charging an entrance fee in the '80s due to budget cuts. No improvements have been made. The state park started charging to get in after paving the road and building a proper marina which they charge extra to launch a boat. Neither charge for pedestrians or cyclists to get in. The county park is the smallest, has the most recreational things to do (some are charged for), and it still doesn't charge to get in. It also has the smallest budget, which the county supervisers tried to cut one year. They were told to keep their mitts off it by the voters. I don't believe the budget cuts were necessary for the other parks, either.
I realize that a $3/car entrance fee isn't going to break anybody's finances. That doesn't make it right. It's like charging to go through the door of a public library. The parks aren't built out of the goodness of the politicians' hearts. They are built because we want them and authorize the spending to build and maintain them.
(OT) I dodged a storm while riding by waiting it out in a fire station. When I arrived, I asked permission of a firefighter to stay. He said OK. Later I thought, "Why did I ask to stay? I should have just announced myself . My taxes helped pay for the building and that guy is my employee." We've lost sight of that subtle distinction.(OT)

Last edited by Hal Hardy; 07-15-05 at 01:36 PM.