Old 01-06-12, 02:25 AM
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flip Flop hubs won't work. The threading on the left side is right handed and the freewheel/fixed gear would unscrew off the hub if power was applied to it on the left side. Flip Flops were meant to be "flipped" when a user wants to use the other gear. Each side was intended to be used on the right side and both can't be used at the same time. Thanks though.

Also if it turns out to be cheaper to get a hub motor, I might get one. But that's only if there's one at a decent price that can perform as well as my side motor does. I will not be getting direct drive style motor hubs. It's geared or nothing.

If I can find an already assembled 700c rim on a motor hub (and must be a geared version) I would look into getting it. Otherwise I would be better off just getting the two sided hub and keeping my existing motor. Because if I get the hub motor, I now end up with a side motor that I don't have a use for and I can't really return it. Though I only really paid about $180 for my ebike kit (which came with throttle, speed controller, motor with it's mounting bracket and a 16tooth freewheel and extra wide chain. It was dirt cheap compared to the hub motor kits and so far I've
only found hub motors that go around the price that my entire e-bike kit was sold for.

There's nothing wrong with the motor setup I have now. I probably just need a wider chain. The chain it came with isn't long enough and will wait for the seller that I bought it from to either provide one separately or let me know what kind of chain it is so I can buy another one. I don't know it's size specifications. I do know its wider then a normal BMX chain I got at Wal-Mart. The alignment issue I was having is causing the motor gear to grind away at the chain links causing it to eventually brake off (the chain is having no issues staying on the freewheel, it's the motor gear that's the issue). The wider chain won't have this problem as there is more space. (the motor gear is not straight when lined up with the freewheel which causes the BMX chain to grind on one side of the motor gear.

Once I get the wider chain, the alignment issue will not be problem anymore. So...any one know what kind of chain it might be? (the BMX chain I'm currently using is a 1/2 inch x 1/8 in size. Or 1.3cm x 0.32cm if you use metric. I need one wider then that.

EDIT: I found that a 1/2 x 3/16 chain is wider. I will try that one and see if I get better results. I've also heard that these chains are known to be stronger. (in perticular the KMC 415H is the brand known for extra strength which I found on ebay at a good price) They are heavier, but since the distance from the motor and freewheel is so small compared to a normal pedal crank and freewheel, the difference won't be noticeable.

Last edited by Apache Thunder; 01-06-12 at 03:04 AM.