Old 07-16-05, 12:39 AM
nycm'er
militant commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Wrong way, homeward bound cop in car. 2. Spit 3.Me 4. Summons

I had an interesting interaction with the NYPD tonight. I have to embarrass myself to tell the story but I must soldier on: I was coming home from an enjoyable evening in Queens with my girl. We turned off the Willy B bridge path and hair-pinned on to the road just south of the bridge that travels east towards the 7th Precinct. This road is one way, heading east and as were we. On this road headed west is a small car traveling about 40 mph. (NYC speed limit = 30 mph) I am bothered by this, as it is annoying, unsafe and threatens us directly. I call up what spittle I can and let a WEAK one loft in the car's general path (This is the embarassing part because I know am a lameass for spitting at all), the car drove in to it and stopped - abruptly, then began to back up almost as fast as it was going forward. So I am telling my GF that they guy is coming back, (the reverse gear is screaming) and to watch out. I am dreading her getting hurt and can't believe I have included her in my childish, vindictive acting out.
We round the bend where there happens to be the Precinct and the car stops, and so do I, as well as a uniformed cop getting out of his cruiser. The guy wants to know "What did I think I was doing?" I ask him "What did he think he was doing driving the wrong way up a street?" He says "BECAUSE I CAN." and I say "Really? Who are you?" and he announces that he is a Sergeant, to which I demand I.D. and he pulls it out. He shows me a very unconvincing I.D. but the uniform cop says "Hey Sarge." so that game is up. He leaves my GF with the bikes and makes me come in for a "while" and runs my name. I should say here that I believe in the system, I want to believe that it can work for everyone (even though it isn't). I do not think we as American citizens should be afraid of our own Government, at all, right down to the underpaid sergeant that drives a crap, nondescript little car the wrong way down the street.
I have nothing on me, have no priors and have done nothing exceptionally wrong, so I am not worried and really enjoy watching the cops dump my commuter bag out and talk tough to me and kiss the Sarge's butt. All the while they are telling me to lose the attitude and what a favor he is doing just writing a summons. (apparently, if you can't prove your identity they can put you in front of a judge to give you the summons, which on a Friday night in NYC, can mean Sunday night before you see one.) So I guess he did me a favor in that sense, but if he had not been driving home the wrong way, I never would have had the pleasure of his intimidation and chest puffing. While I am sitting there, and my name is being run, I hear him telling all those at the desk that I spit on his car, (soooo lame, I know) but I can't hear him telling them that he was galloping up a street the wrong way. I wonder what they think I was doing?) (What was I doing?) So 20 minutes later, (after a pleasant conversation with the uniformed cop who watched me in which among other things told me that the summons would most likely be thrown out.) the sergeant had gave me my summons (spitting in public). The two plainclothes guys who searched me were watching me pack up my dumped out stuff, they kept saying "You should be careful out there, you never know what people are going to do. What if this spit on car had some psycho in it? Watch what you do," (As is said in New York: oink, oink, Stay in line!) and I tried to add that maybe the Sergeant shouldn't be driving the wrong way threatening me. And Cop #1 says, "Two wrongs don't make a right." I guess I'll take that as an assignment of partial blame.
So, should I go to Internal Affairs/ Civilian Complaint Review Board, or should I shut my Cake hole?