View Single Post
Old 07-16-05, 05:22 AM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadrayge
Not a stupid question, i've started doing 10 miles a day about 3 weeks ago, now i'm up to almost 100 miles a week, there has been improvement. Remember that i've just been biking one month! And i don't plan to win the race, i just want to do it, something "wrong" with that?
Thanks for your advice.
No indeed, nothing is wrong with that. I guess I am so used to being around highly competitive people who come to win - not participate. My (probably very distorted) mentality says that a sliver medal means that you have lost. I'm not even interested in just making the podium - I want gold! If someone beats me, they are going to have to withstand more pain than I. In my last time trial competition, I averaged 97% of my maximum heart rate (182 is my MHR), and that is a very painful experience. Because of that pain, and because of putting in over 200 miles a week of very intense training, I currently have the top 10K time trial time in the country for my age group. One of the problems with just "participating" is that you cannot even measure yourself against yourself. Road races vary considerably in speed depending on the mood of the peloton, and time trials are run on different courses, different terrain and different wind conditions. Again, however, if simply the experience of racing is what you seek that is certainly easily accomplished. If making the podium is what you seek, lots of hard work and pain lie ahead! And in regards to just biking one month, you will find that you might progress rather rapidly. I won gold at the Florida Senior Games with just 11 months of total (very intense) riding/training.