Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaptCarrot
I have a full size track pump in my garage and my old mini pump has finally died. Whilst I was thinking of just getting another cheapy, I started looking around at small pumps with a flexible hose to save wear on the valve.

I was just wondering if anyone has used either of the 2 pumps I am about to list, or have any other suggestions of a bicycle pump that fits the following criteria
  • small
  • flexible hose
  • presta/schrader compatible
  • foot pad (optional but desirable)

The following 2 items match all 4 criteria

BikeHut Travelling Track Bike Pump (Any idea who makes this for Halfords/Bike Hut?)
£21.99 at Halfords
  • Lightweight aluminium Pump with runner grip handle
  • Folding foot support to enable the use of the Travelling Track Pump and add stability
  • Long reach arm and hose with universal joint for use with most bikes
  • Ideal for high pressure inflation up to 120psi
  • Single action
  • Presta / Schrader Valves
  • Up to 120 PSi
Unfortunately not dimensions are given for this one.

Topeak Mini Morph
£24.99 from Halfords
  • Fold-out Foot Pad
  • Flexible Hose
  • Mounting Bracket
  • Presta/ Schrader/ Dunlop Valves
  • 160 psi/ 11 bar
  • 170 g / 5.98 oz
  • 26 x 5 x 2.8 cm (10.2” x 2.0” x 1.1”)

Of the 2 I'm leaning towards the Topeak - for me it is more of a trusted brand. Just a pity the Bike Hut one doesn't give any dimensions to measure it up against. Unfortunately neither have a built in pressure guage.
Regardless of the two recommended ones' above, I need to get one, outright. But first I need to figure out how I would carry it. Because the back end of the top tube, and the top of the rear down tube, have a bag attached to them, for carrying my locks.

The other problem I have is a prior experience with this kind of bike pump. I was on a 60-mile ride in 2004 when my tire blew late at night. It just got more embarrassing after that(I won't go into detail). It partially culminated in my mobile bike pump being disemboweled. Since then, I have stuck with my Serfas FPS100 floor pump.

My situation looks similar to this bike bag: http://www.hzproduct.com/pro/684/707...ag-156008.html; in the it is connected to both the top tube and rear down tube. Except that my bike bag is a little bigger than the one in the picture. I keep my locks in the bag. But the bags' position presents the problem of being able to have an emergency bike pump, on the bike.

Last edited by Chris516; 01-07-12 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Found picture to show situation