Old 01-09-12, 08:59 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
Resilion canti brakes would also be a good, period correct option since they clamp the the forks, although that would be more clutter than the coaster brake option.
Thanks for the thought. Yes, that's right. I did consider Resilion as I have a spare set to hand (don't know if the canti clamps are the right size) but, as you say, they would be more clutter and part of the beauty of the frame is its simplicity. Also, the paint on the Rotrax is period and very good and I'm loathe to clamp stuff to it that might damage the paint. Weight-wise, I don't think there'd be much in it. I'll just check... ah, alloy levers, cables and 4 cantilevers weigh 880g against 1065g for the hub, a difference of 185g, or 6.5oz. I reckon the steel Resilion levers would make them pretty much the same.

I'm very pleased with this hub, though. I've just got it apart and just looking at the 73 year old thrills me. The smell reminds me of the blacksmith's forge in my village when I was growing up. I'll take photos in the morning before cleaning it up and post them here.