Old 07-16-05, 05:06 PM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by sbeatonNJ
Dont get Campy for touring and having seen Centaur and worked on it I am not impressed. I reccommend using a a mixture of Shimano mtb and road on your bike. Let's see for wheels, pick your rim and go with LX or XT hubs, I roll with Rhyno Lites and XTs. For a rear deraiulluer (I can't spell it, I just fix em) just pick Deore, LX, or XT depending on your budget. I use a road front derailluer, don't go lower then 105. As for brakes I reccomend going on Ebay and getting some XT or XTR cantilevers, I find them to be better than the new avids, and they can be had reasonably and usually new in box. If you go V brake, go Xt, Xtr, or Avid black ops. As for cranks I use Deores that came stock with 48, 36, 26, I think you can order LX's in that ring configuration too but Deore is really all you need. I do reccomend getting ones that can use a Square taper BB or Octalink, the newer tech which has trickled down may be tougher to find out on the road. For a cassete get an LX with a top ring of 34 or 32. As for shifting I would go with the bar and and aero levers, much cheaper than STI and the reliability factor is worth it in my opinion. In general I like the idea of using as much MTB stuff as possible as I find it to be tougher than road stuff which is a good thing when commuting and touring.

I also like Ritchey for things like bars (Bio max are great), seat posts, stems. You picked a great frame to build up and it build up bomb proof. I find making bikes to be durable and bombproof is more fun than shaving off grams. I offer these reccomendations as a bike mechanic and from personal experience. Best of luck to you!
Listen to this man as he confirms all of my prejudices.