View Single Post
Old 01-11-12, 07:06 PM
dunghopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
There's no short answer. Well, there's no good short answer.
Thanks. That's more or less what I expected, but still your answer was thorough and helpful.

Assuming similar seat heights and bottom bracket heights, I don't see how frame size will affect ease of mounting, unless you are a complete idiot.
It's very possible that I am a complete idiot I haven't ridden a bike in over 10 years, and never have ridden a road bike until this week. Having just done some research about ways of mounting a bicycle (http://www.wikihow.com/Mount-a-Bicycle), I'll be honest, the side mount method never occurred to me. However, the second method ("throw your leg over the middle bar") seems like it would definitely be more difficult on a larger frame, especially for someone as inflexible as me. (On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't be taking advice from someone that doesn't know the correct term for "top tube").

So I guess the closest I can get to a short answer is "Size depends on your needs, and once you've figured out your needs, why would you buy a frame that's either too big or too small?"
Touche. The answer is: I'm too lazy to actually get fitted at an LBS, so I'm going to buy an internet bike, sized approximately based off of internet fit calculators and wildly conflicting suggestions on a handful of bike forums and hope for the best

(To be honest, I just did that, with the should-have-been-expected poor results. Scared by all the "whatever you do don't get a frame that's too big!", I ended up with something much too small. And now I'm trying to avoid replacing it with something too big.)

Anyway, thanks again for the help.