View Single Post
Old 07-16-05, 11:58 PM
jaquelinp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds very sane to me. Your head says Yikes, This is scary!! I know the feeling. I often brake and get passed on downhills and then forge on and pass on uphills. Been this way all my life, with XC skiing, running trail hills and now cycling. It's natural to me to be scared especially when you have seen a crash or two and they replay in your mind. Confidence will build again but it might be easier if you gave yourself permission to go down as slowly as you feel confident and don't push or compare with anyone else. Knowing the road and it's idiosyncricies also makes a huge difference. Why do you think Lance dose Recon work before he rides any of the Tour's roads? It's dangerous to fly like a bat out of hell on roads that you haven't a clue what is ahead.

I also do a lot of yoga which has really helped my balance, not to mention flexibility and strength. At first I wobbled all over in balancing postures and now I can stand totally still in concentration. This helps all parts of cycling for me. Good luck. Being alive and whole to ride again tomorrow is far more important than making it a little faster to the bottom of a hill or around a steep curve.