spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by max5480
Ok. I live in Salt Lake City and I have been to Yellowstone a bunch of times.
If you go in the off season you should be fine. I've been there at times when there aren't many people and it's spectacular. The park gets snowed in a lot of the times, but at least here in SLC we've had like no snow, so it should be ok. I've never ridden up there from here, but always want to. There is a route in a book I have called "Touring Utah" and they detail a route up there. Touring should be great. Don't know when you're going, but as long as it isn't during summer or spring break, I think you should be fine. Like I said, I've been there a bunch and what I would recommend is not renting an RV. Like other posters have said, the roads are really narrow and even if you have experience with an RV and are capable at handling it through tight busy roads, I still wouldn't do it because you're pissing off other park visitors. If you must get an RV make sure it's a small one. But seriously, what's wrong with camping? Mixed participants is a BS answer. We're bikers and as you know getting passed by an RV sucks, especially when you're trying to enjoy the scenery. Do everyone a favor and don't rent an RV. Definitely do the ride though and report back on your adventure.

oh yeah, and the drive is really easy and fun
Most of our participants. Aren't campers. Frankly I would rather just camp. With their hiker biker policy, it would be a lot easier.

Thanks for the advice on the narrow roads. I also like the advice on West Yellowstone and this all gave me an idea. We have two that would camp.

Three that won't. I'm thinking that two that would camp would do just that. The others could take a room in West Yellowstone or whatever and meet us for day rides. We would then still have an out should the weather turn sour. Crowds after Labor Day?

What is the weather like in September? I'd rather it not be too cold. If we went with that plan then we might just fly into Jackson.

Or maybe fly into SLC and rent a van? It would be nice to be able to rent a bike rack too.

Last edited by spinnaker; 01-12-12 at 08:15 PM.