View Single Post
Old 01-13-12, 05:21 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I define the "Townie" as a bike mostly built with spare parts that fills the following needs: Generally upright position, fun to ride and is not worth anything to a thief but worth a lot to you. Possible additions are the ability to carry stuff (mostly beer and/or groceries).
Originally Posted by cc700
^ i dig that.

"townie" isn't a category like road bike is a category.

townie is a category like 'fixie' is a category, or 'dirt jumper' is a category. it's a defining characteristic, a bike built for town... that fills those general needs.

there's no magic number of 'how upright' or 'how many gears' or the like, it's just gotta fulfill that purpose as its defining characteristic.

and 'having a soul' does not enter into it. the globe live is a townie. my nishiki century is a townie. it's how you fit it and what it has.
Soul was an improper term, but I can't help but notice you guys tend to agree with my point of view here...or at least in my mind you do. I guess what I should have said, is how can you call that modern production bike a townie and declare the others not! Meh eye of the beholder and what not I suppose.