Thread: Hot r Not
View Single Post
Old 01-14-12, 12:19 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Propofol
Hey, I've been on both sides of the drape sir...was a surgeon for 3 years before wising up.

The only step up from the Porsche to the Ferrari would be the hit you take to your wallet!
Funny how you hear this from time to time, but never the other way around.

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
You anesthesiologists make way too much money! Float a little out here to us starving surgeons.
You made me laugh for a while there.........

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Placebo effect. Have the two bikes set up precisely the same with the exact measurement and components and then ride ten 2 hour rides on each blindfolded on a trainer. Then report back to us. I will bet your 1.8 mph drifts down to nothing.
I don't know about the 1 or 1.8 MPH number, but I can tell you that one of my bikes is far faster than the others. I would have agreed with you had it not being the case with me. The newest one is 1.5 years old, so I think we are past the "new bike placebo effect".

Originally Posted by JSS
If you are really interested here is my personal opinion owning both models, first of all the 595 is discontinued, the current model is a 596. I have a ridden a 595 for a few years before I bought the 695 and currently use it as my winter bike. The 595 is a great all around bike and as you stated provides the ability to customize the stem and cranks. From a performance and handling perspective the 695 is head and shoulders above the 595. The power transfer of the Zed 2 crank set is flawless it is like nothing I have ever ridden (the 595 is full campy super record), the handling and cornering is far superior and the road feel can be dialied in using the different polymer. I average over 1 mph faster on my training rides with the 695 over the 595.
My experience is that the 695 is a tremendous step up like going from a Porsche to a Ferrari but your experience may be different
I appreciate your comparison and opinion as it is the first one I hear from someone that has had both. From your description, it sounds like the 695 is just what you would expect from a LOOK. There are still a couple of things about it that don't sit well with me personally. The crank set is one. I hate proprietary parts/equipment that obligate you or tie you to get their other things too. This crank set is an example of it. Besides, there is nothing in the market like Campagnolo CULT bearings, and no chain ring works as flawless as the Campagnolo chain rings. BTW, can they be used with the Zed cranks (same BCD)? Another is that they moved away from the "lugged frames" (too much work and cost) on their high end frames when they discontinued the 595 model. That is a very personal thing for me though.

BTW, thanks for voting me in for the 695 as I did not even know I was running for the honors LOL............ I presume you "voted me in" because of what I said in another thread:

I am seriously debating whether I'll get a new frame set or not this year. If I do, it will be with internal electronic and will put SR EPS on it. Only a 50% chance it will happen though. If it does, the only candidates I have so far are Parlee Z3 SL or a Colnago C59. Nothing else is tempting me at this point.
To be frank, I am likely not going to get a new bike. I am simply not having the urge and nothing is calling me. Besides, I am very satisfied with both of my bikes right now. I wished I wasn't so maybe I would have the urge and help the economy LOL.......

Back to HOT or NOT............

Last edited by dgasmd; 01-14-12 at 12:26 PM.