Old 01-20-12, 01:10 PM
jaslynn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to decide between Hybrid bike or Mountain Bike

Hey guys, posted the same thread in the Hybrid Bike forum but figured I'd post here to get a balanced view.

Anyway I'll be mostly riding on pavements, roads and bike paths 99% of the time. There's a small chance that I might try out a light trail eventually, but I doubt I'll ever go into hardcore mountain biking with full suspension and jumping all over the place, etc.

For that reason I think a Hybrid bike would be more suitable for me over a Mountain Bike, but a lot of people still tell me to get a mountain bike instead and I'm stuck deciding between these 2 models:

Polygon Cozmic 2.0 (MTB)

Polygon Heist 5.0 (Hybrid)

From what I gather in general, pretty much the main differences with the Hybrid over the MTB would be that the Heist uses 700Cx38 tires while the Xtrada uses 26x2.1" tires. Most people tell me I can swap the 26x2.1" with semi-slick thinner tires. On the other hand, I could just swap the 700Cx38 tires for a thicker tire with more knobs as well and it should perform decently on trails right?

Also, I'm curious what are the main advantages/disadvantages to using a 26" versus a 29" Seems to me that most mountain bikes use 26" wheels. I've even read comments that talk about how 29" bikes are "overkill" for mountain biking. Yet 700C wheels are practically the norm for Road & Hybrid bikes.

Anyone can give me some advice? Thank you

Last edited by jaslynn; 01-20-12 at 01:20 PM.