View Single Post
Old 01-22-12, 05:55 PM
WPeabody 

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The dilemma of parking lots

Was wondering how bent riders deal with being seen in parking lots, to avoid being backed over as you pass by parked cars, or not get hit when you try to turn out of a line of cars entering the lot, to the bike rack in front of a store, at say, a large mall? I cannot see oncoming cars, so I have to edge slowly out until the driver sees me and likely honks on the horn because I startled them. I also travel in the center of the parking lanes so I have some space when people do back out, but sometimes I get passed by cars in the lane, and there's oncoming traffic.

In spite of high viz clothing, yellow pannier covers, flashing lights and flags, I've had a few close calls, and have to proceed rather slowly, watching for backup lights, but sometimes I'm taken by surprise because I can't see the cars that have drivers in them. Yet, sometimes I have to get through this parking lot to get to where i'm going. I really don't want to leave my trike too far away, such as near the entrance of the lot.
I have to sort of sit up and eyeball everyone, and wave my arms, and yell a few times to get their attention.
Kind of nerve wracking...