Old 01-23-12, 11:50 AM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Not RC surgery, but had a shoulder reconstruction after tearing a few inches off the glenoid labrum w/ recurrent subluxation.
Was in a shoulder immobilizer 6 weeks and in PT 3x/week for several months. Had another surgery a year later to remove a loose screw that was scraping the head of the humerus.

It took a while but ended up swimming 24,000 yards/week as a competitive Masters swimmer for a decade.

One year post-op I only noticed the shoulder when:
* carrying a Big Gulp drink on that side
* uncomfortable with duffel bag strap on that shoulder
* could not sleep on that side and need to small pillows to prop the shoulder when sleeping on back or on other side.
* noticed tiny difference in external rotation when swimming backstroke

I've since taken up cycling instead of swimming and have found that the surgeon was correct, the reconstruction surgery is NOT a 100% cure.
BOTH shoulders are starting to get sloppy again without the swimming and weightlifting strengthening it, so it's time to do some rehab exercises to build up joint stability then continue to cross-train to keep upper body strong.

Follow the doc's orders first and foremost.
If he OK's it find a gym with semi-recumbant stationary bikes. In my area you can usually get 2-week free guest passes. They are very friendly on sore shoulders.