View Single Post
Old 01-24-12, 01:25 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
SJX426 Probably an '82; that seems about the time the crimped tubes were coming into play and Colnago was phasing out the concave seatstay caps - my '83 has flat caps, crimped top and down tubes, but lacks the chain-hanger peg.
DD
There are two ways to go with this. I think '82 is plausible, but I'd be very surprised if Colnago was marketing that design before Sarroni's World's victory on a similar bike. Which would mean very late in '82. Also, I've never seen a Nuovo Mexico with the semi-sloping crown in use in '82, only the sloping one that kicked in circa '83, though of course Sarroni's bike had the sloping fork, arguing for it's debut earlier than '83. I also don't recall seeing the concave caps with the sloping crown combo. While the '83's do seem to have the flat caps, Colnago didn't necessarily make sharp model year cutoffs for that sort of thing. So a bit of a tweener - I think both '82 and '83 are plausible. I lean toward '83, with the concave caps having carried over a bit- they're plugs, so it's not like the flat caps saved labor.