View Single Post
Old 01-25-12, 07:58 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, traffic was much lighter and kids rode their bikes everywhere. That's when my love for cycling started because our bikes provided tremendous freedom for kids. Didn't ride much in high school, but quickly found that a bike was the best way to get around campus when I was in college. That is when I first started bike commuting, which was my main form of transportation all through college.

I also started running in college and found that cycling was great cross training to give my legs a break from the pounding and stress. After I graduated and started working, one of my first purchases was a decent road bike, a Nishiki sport tourer, and I started doing longer rides for the first time. One day I saw a Celeste green Bianchi at the bike shop and it was love at first sight, and that was my first really nice road bike with Campy gears. Rode my first century and a bike tour but gradually drifted away from cycling due to job pressures, increased traffic where I lived and the lack of a group to ride with.

I sold my old Nishiki to my younger brother, who really got excited about cycling and reignited my interest in my 40s. I had gained a few pounds over the years, and cycling was a great way to get back in shape since my legs couldn't handle running any more. I soon started cycling more than I had ever had when younger and bought a nice road bike, but my riding was entirely recreational with occasional tours. Five years ago, I started bike commuting to work as a way to increase my riding time/mileage. My initial plan was to ride once a week on dress-down Fridays, but soon increased that to 2, 3, 4 days a week or more. I now can't believe that I didn't start bike commuting years ago. It helps relieve stress, it's fun, saves money, conserves gas, prevents air pollution, and has helped me lose 30 lbs. What's not to like about it?