View Single Post
Old 01-25-12, 09:37 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
IMO: I suspect it's the reduction of rotational mass (flywheel effect) that makes them feel lighter. The Trek 2.3 Al felt as quick as the 4.5 Madone CF bike I rode back to back when making my final decision.
I hadn't thought about that but it makes sense. The reduced wheel weight would make it easier to spin up to speed thus making it feel more light and responsive. I assume (but don't have the engineering to know for sure) that the reverse would be true in forward motion while coasting leading to a net zero (if overall weight was the same). But that would at least account for the feel. One of the reasons I wondered about this is that I have lost 15 pounds over the past year but my bike feels the same as ever. I recognize that this is a gradual reduction but still... On this rotational mass theory, however, the spin up requirement would be unchanged so the feel would be unchanged despite my weight loss.

Last edited by donheff; 01-25-12 at 09:56 AM.