View Single Post
Old 01-25-12, 09:44 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Today`s message from BF says it`ll cost an extra 85 for a Cane Creek headset or 138 extra for King, and for 50 I can have Deore hubs with CR-18s. The wheel change is a no brainer, and I`m probably going to order the CC headset also. I was surprised that the rep told me they won`t change chainrings. Is that a new policy? I`ll take it anyway, but I really wanted to bump up the standard road triple to 34-46-56, which seems reasonable to me. I have a much stranger mix with bigger spread than that on my tandem and it works (though not very well) with an indexed front shifter- should be no problem with friction. Oh, well. As of now, it`s supposed to ship with 1.35 Comets, but I`m now thinking it would be safer to get 1.5 something. Maybe the wider Comets, maybe Scorchers- will have to mull that one over. If I`m still not sure by the time I sign on the dotted line, I`ll just spit out one option or the other, and I`m sure either way will be fine. Will place the order tomorrow or Friday.

Invisiblehand: Ah-ha! I`d read your blog entry on Fridays in the midst of a googling frenzy, but couldn`t remember where I saw it. Very informative- thanks for writing it up and thanks for redirecting me to it.
I just saw this ... I spent far less time over the holidays on the Internet. You're more than welcome.

If you look on the YAK, you'll see a thread on Primo Comets late last year. I used to be the case that Primo Comets were undersized relative to their ERTO specifications. Although it appears that newer ones are much closer to specs. So the difference between 1.35 and 1.50" will be about 4 mm (40 - 36 mm). Note that the change in volume of air in the tire will be disproportionately larger (20**2) / (18**2) or 400 / 324 or 20-25% more air.