View Single Post
Old 01-26-12, 09:43 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I have mixed feelings about CO2 inflators. I know and understand why folks use them - weight, convenience, etc. And I understand the waste involved in anything disposable, even if it's recycled. But let's face if, if someone gets 2 flats a year, that's lots of pump carrying to just use it once every six months. Also 2 recycled cartridges a year isn't exactly a massive environmental impact.

My objection to cartridge inflators (for my own use, I don't object to what others decide) is another reason entirely. They're a one shot deal. If the tire needs to be deflated for reseating, or needs reinflation for any reason you're SOL. I know some people who carry CO2 and a back up pump, but IMO that sort of nullifies the reason for carrying CO2 units in the first place.
That's largely how I feel about it. The point was driven home when I went on a ride with a guy, he got a flat, and his CO2 cartridge wasn't enough to fill the high-volume tire he was using. I had neglected to bring a pump myself, so we had to call the ride short.

I regard the extra weight from the pump (which isn't that much of a burden with mini-pumps) like the extra weight from my helmet -- unnecessary 99.9% of the time, but nice when you need it.

- Scott
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498