View Single Post
Old 01-27-12, 11:27 AM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
That turned out well. I like to get out sometimes on a comfort bike so that no one recognizes me so that's pretty attractive.

My dumb build scheme is slated to be my main ride so I want to start with the right frame, so that adding decent components in the future won't be nonsensical.
In answer to your original question I would say there is no such thing as a dumb build. If it’s something you will want to ride I say go for it. I have done a lot of different things with bikes in my day that’s for sure. If you start with a frame that you really want the worst that can happen is you can do something more conventional down the road and have something to show for money spent. And best case you will get something really perfect to suit your needs with a single speed.

Like you I have lots of different bikes to suit the mood I’m in to ride and if I have guests that want to borrow a bike I get lots of feedback on some of these clones. On the one I showed the smaller rear wheel relaxed the geometry a little more and along with the upright comfort position it’s a really easy bike to ride. The front chain ring is larger than what would have been common on a 3sp so its gearing is fun. Worked out good but like I posted above if you don’t try you will never know. That bike and my 21sp beach cruiser I built wont set any speed records but they do get used a lot.