Old 01-31-12, 09:23 AM
paisan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buck_O
I have seen people run the MTB SRAM stuff on road shifters (clearly it work on paisan's bike). But i have heard that some of SRAMs MTB stuff has a different cable pull rate and might not work.
You are correct. The SRAM 9 spd mtb and 10 spd road groups are not interchangeable because of different cable pulls. But the 10spd road and mountain are, since I use the 10spd X9 RD it works perfect. There is no noticeable difference in shifting performance even when I switched back to my other cassettes which were road specific.

If you scroll down this page there are some comments from Lennard Zinn (I know he's not Sheldon but he's pretty damn close)concerning compatibility.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...eedback_155209

Originally Posted by Buck_O
With Apex being a longer cage though...i wonder if it would accept a 12/36 cassette.
I've had a conversation with the guys at my LBS about this and we wondered if using a longer B-tension screw would allow this. The cage length between a mid cage Apex and the X9 is pretty much the same but the Apex tension is bottomed out on a 32. By using a longer screw it might give enough clearence for the larger cassette. We've discussed trying this when there's a spare apex RD hanging around but until then it's just a theory.

Last edited by paisan; 01-31-12 at 09:27 AM.