Old 02-01-12, 12:25 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 438 Posts
LHT (58cm frame) during buildup test ride, without racks and fenders, just for illustration. 700c wheels, Dyad rims, XT 36 spoke hubs and Wheelsmith double butted spokes. Stronger than most stock 26" wheels. Depending on where we are going we will use eithr 28mm or 32 mm tires. However, as I get older the 32mm tires seem to be on our bikes most of the time. This is roughly equivalent to an 1.25' tire. On a fully loaded tour this summer, part of our route took us over more than 400 miles of unpaved and gravel roads and trails and over more than 500 miles of cobblestone roads and trails. Wheels were not a problem. However, if you plan on touring in.............. the 26" might be better. We've never had a problem getting 700c tires, but we have never toured in Mongolia either. If you get a LHT tell them not to cut the steerer tube until you get your fit dialed in. It will give you more options on bar height. I have been riding mine for over 2 years and still have not got around to cutting it

The 29'er(700c) mountain bikes are becoming more popular so wheel strength is not really the issue. This bike has a mountain bike drive train: 44/36/22 crankset with an 11-34 cassette. A little lower geared than a stock LHT.

The bottom line is that wheel and tire size comes down to personal preference! What ever you end up with, enjoy the ride.

PS
The LHT reminds me of my Toyota Avalon,
I still think it reminds me of a Ford 250 pickup. OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little-- a Ford 150 pickup.

The dirt road was too muddy to ride on.

Yes, I believe this is actually a road.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-01-12 at 03:00 PM.