View Single Post
Old 02-03-12, 04:44 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Yoga has been a disaster for my wife. Following the direction/instruction of a series of "more qualified, better trained, more highly educated" instructors has not been the panacea each had promised. While I understand that there are good teachers and bad teachers, how is one to discern the difference? Each instructor to which she was sent was touted as being better than the previous. Yet, none could fully appreciate the unique challenges her body faces from massive doses of radiation as one of the first child survivors of renal cell carcinoma. All were absolutely sure that they could provide relief to a body damaged by radiation therapy delivered at a time when such therapy was very much in the experimental stage. I can understand the excitement and enthusiasm one feels when finding a discipline that brings benefit to his or her life. I do not, however, understand or appreciate the too often seen "Oh, this will work for you. Just listen to your body." comments by those presenting themselves as highly knowledgeable. When your body's neurological system is not capable of providing information to which one could listen, such comments are flippant expressions of, "Oh, it's your fault if it's not working for you." I imagine by this time you detect the residual anger and frustration that still lingers.