View Single Post
Old 02-03-12, 10:05 PM
danlikes

Bikes: Sab, Diamondback MB, Kawasiki MB, Huffy hybrid fixed gear junk yard build, Huffy cruiser motorized.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fas2c
Cedar Planked Salmon Patties/Cakes

Preheat oven to 400*F

4 T olive oil or spray oil
1 red pepper seeded diced
1 med sweet onion diced
1 clove garlic chopped
2 cans Salmon, cleaned, drained
2 T dry parsley
1 T Italian herb mix (orgeano, basil, thyme)
2 whole eggs
1/2 cup mayonaise
2 T Dijion mustard (optional but gives nice flavor)
1T lemon/lime juice
1T kosher salt
5-6 slices of Bread crumbs (I use old heels of bread and stale peices)
8oz or 1 box Japanese bread crumbs (aka Panko)
Cedar Planks (optional) or cookie sheet/pizza pan
Saute' diced oinion, peppers and garlic and cool

In a large bowl combine:
Saute'd diced oinion, peppers and garlic
2 cans Salmon, cleaned, drained
2 T dry parsley
1 T Italian herb mix (orgeano, basil, thyme)
2 whole eggs
1/2 cup mayonaise
2 T Dijion mustard (optional but gives nice flavor)
1T lemon/lime juice
1T kosher salt
5-6 slices of Bread crumbs (I use old heels of bread and stale peices)

Mix throughly. It should be firm enough to mound into patties but soft, not hard, they will almost want to feel a little soupy, but still have enough density to hold together. I mound these out to be about 2-3" in diameter or roughly the size of a regular hamburger bun.

Dredge or coat the patties in the Panko crumbs.

In a saute pan on medium heat, lightly brown the patties in small batches (2-3 at a time, do crowd the pan or you may risk a mess trying to fliip as they will be a little loose) and clean pan between batches as Panko likes to burn.

Transfere the patties to the cedar planks and bake @ 400* for 10-12 minutes or until internal temp is 160*F.

I find the longer one cooks the cakes on the cedar the more pronounced the cedar flaovor will be. It can be over done and likend to eating a spruce twig. Personally I'd go for the least amount of time that one can be sure the eggs are cooked.

These are fantastic on their own served with a remulaude or tartar sauce even a Burre Blanc. Or as a sandwhich on toasted/griddled buns with lettuce, tomato, red oinion, tartar, ect.

They freeze great too so one can make a batch, freeze and microwave for a quick meal.
Thanks I like the idea of making up a large batch and cooking a few at a time, don’t have cedar planks though. Would you recommend mesquite or pecan in lieu of cedar?

Last edited by danlikes; 02-03-12 at 10:14 PM.