Old 02-04-12, 03:13 PM
SFGary

Bikes: Trek 820, Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Well, there are a number of pre-made routes nearby, you could start by looking at the Adventure Cycling maps for Grand Canyon Connector and Western Express. ACA maps have some hotel info.

That puts most of your route in Utah and Colorado, which would be my strong preference over the Four Corners area, which for me is too sandy and windy and poverty-stricken to make appealing touring. But it does take you through the parks, where accommodations can be hard to find if you are not camping. OTOH, the Santa Fe / Chama / Pagosa Springs area could be nice too. Personally I would stay off the Navajo Nation as much as possible (my bias, after driving there).

You're really going to have to do the leg work and mileage math yourself though with respect to the hotels, with your own knowledge of what's a reasonable amount of miles per day for you, taking into account terrain, time of year (Weather), and what kinds of landscape you prefer.

Devil's in the details, get out the map, the internet, crazyguy, ACA, and start pinning those details down.
Hi valygrl

Thanks for your reply, I'll look up the ACA Grand Canyon connector. What kind of terrain does the Santa Fe/Chama/Pagosa Springs area have?

Gary