View Single Post
Old 02-04-12, 05:20 PM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
A few years ago when I was in college I had to take my bike to the shop because a school employee accidentally ran into me on a golf cart and wrecked my fork. They told me it wouldn't take long to get a new fork and the school said they would pay, so I didn't think much of it. Dropped it off on a Friday, they it would be done Monday. I called the next Wednesday (they assured me they'd call me as soon as it was done) to see what was up. I got a bunch of excuses about how it was a busy weekend, threaded forks for a 60 CM bike are hard to come by, etc. They told me it would be done by Monday. This kept happening over and over. It was exactly one month before I got it back, and I think the only reason why they finished it was because I threatened to come get my bike and take it up to the next town with a bike shop. This bike was my only mode of transportation and they knew it. Not only that, but the new fork was aluminum, made for a 700c bike with recessed brakes, and had no eyelets. My bike is steel with 27" rims, nutted brakes, and fenders are a necessity. The worst part came when I picked it up. The owner and head mechanic said to me "Yeah, we actually found this fork in the back of the shop yesterday. Should have looked there earlier, ha ha." It took all my willpower to keep myself from going ape***** there in the shop. He was the only bike shop in town and knew it.

Not sure where I was going, other than to vent.