View Single Post
Old 02-04-12, 06:54 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
I would share the same concern if the seat stay failure occurred after decades of regular riding and not loaded touring. "what else is lurking" would be in the back of my head. Best way to settle that concern is load the bike up and ride it hard before the tour. Who knows, maybe the tube failure was the only weakness waiting to go, I don't see anyway to predict future failures but if there is another one lurking you're more likely to bring it out by simulating a loaded tour than waiting for the tour.
I agree with this.

I've done loaded touring and centuries and shopping on a Shogun 400 converted to fixed gear. It rides and handles nicely loaded or unloaded. Subject to an adequate job done in fixing the seat stay, you should be fine. But a thorough frame inspection is worthwhile. You might also take a critical look at your brakes, and their efficiency at stopping you with a touring load on board. It may be that you'll have to upgrade to long-reach modern calipers if there is any doubt about the OEM ones.

Having said all that, I have a Fuji Touring that I bought new and have put more than 55,000km into. It fell in a gust and broke the right rear dropout. I brazed it back together and it's done another 1500km or so since, but I don't have the confidence in it to do a 6000km European tour we are planning for this year. I could spend the dollars are have the dropout replaced, but the cost and hassle would be somewhat considerable. So I am looking to buy a new Thorn Club Touring frame and building up what I want.

In brief, if you have doubts, look to buy another bike. If you are confident with what you have, after that detailed inspection, go for it.