Old 02-05-12, 12:53 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to add my two cents. (I know, I know.)

I got into biking back in 2004 or 2005. Bought me a Trek 3900 mountain bike and rode the tar out of it - and almost never went off road.

About the same time, I discovered the 50+ Forum, and began to learn from the amazing collection of wise, mostly civil, often witty people who post here.

I resisted everything they told me, about things like getting a road bike (which I eventually did), going clipless (which I eventually did), wearing "proper" cycling gear (which I eventually did), and others.

My point is that I would hear all the advice, and think, "Well, all well intended, but not for me. These folks are too hard-core for me."

But it turns out, in almost every case, they were right to suggest what they suggested. So when people say, "Find the right LBS first," they're right. When they say that "Fit is critical," they're right. When they say, "Your first bike will teach you what you want in your second bike," they're right - even if you're thinking "Second bike??? I'll never want a second bike!"

I'm not sure how the OP is responding to all this advice, but take it from me - these folks know a LOT about cycling, and what they don't know can be put in a thimble. Trust them. Learn from them.

Good luck with your decision. We've all struggled with "What to buy!" and continue to enjoy the struggle, thanks to N+1.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay