I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
VOS Strategy

Okay folks; please critique:

Goals: I'm going for the podium in the Road Race. Everything else is secondary.

Prep: Did a 55 mile base ride today, weighted towards z3, after the crit yesterday. Only a couple of hours of easy commuting between now and the weekend, with Tue and Thurs as complete days off.

Friday - 14 mile Time Trial: I think I should be starting late morning. This is my first ever time trail, and I am doing it "cannibal style", on my road bike, with no clip-ons or special helmet. I'm going to target a narrow power band and hold it there. I'm currently thinking right around my FTP: 275-280w. I don't think that will drain me for the next day.

Saturday - 46 mile Road Race: This is 2.8 laps of a triangular course. Second leg is a slight rise that will likely be into a headwind, then you turn right and go uphill for 3.5 miles. IMO, those are the defining features. The finish is right after the third time up the hill, after a short flat. According to those who have been doing this race, "early breaks never succeed". There are too many people not on teams that are going to work to chase the break down regardless of who is in it. I do NOT want a bunch finish, and that hill leading to it will probably stretch things out. If there is a last lap break, I think I should join it. If the pack is together getting to the last turn, and I'm there, I'm thinking I should make it a long fight to the finish going up the hill, taking it at the max I think I can hold for 15 minutes or so, or whatever pace the pack chooses if its faster than that.

Sunday - 25' Crit: I intend to be focused on positioning for the finish, and not letting circumstances dictate my position.