Old 02-06-12, 10:15 PM
Sagebrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting out riding again... Seat for an old Giant MTB?

A few weeks ago I started riding again after many years, haven't ridden over 20 miles in probably 15 years. My bikes are classics now. I still have my first MTB a Giant Butte and a slightly younger Giant Sedona with high bars. They are both around 20 years old now I guess.

My seats have died of old age, one is still decent but, the cover is really loose. I don't have a bike shop near by. The local one closed recently. Can you guys give me a simple seat suggestion? I guess a 155 cm Specialized seat would be my first try. I don't need anything expensive, I liked my stock Giant saddle till the foam came apart. I haven't shopped for bike stuff in so long I don't know where to look. I've been surfing Amazon and my local Academy sports.

I'm, 6'-4" and around 290 pounds, probably less since I've been riding. I'm getting back to riding for weight loss, my goal is 250 pounds. I'm a heavy frame sucker, big bones, big feet etc. When I was in good shape I weighed 245 to 250 pounds with a 36" waist, thats skinny for me.

Well, anyway... I've been reading the threads on here and I'm taking notes on the brands of stuff for big guys.

My old Butte needs work, I used it as a beach bike and the cables are rusted bad. I'm trying to decide if I should even mess with it. The whole bike is rough from Florida riding, it has many thousands of miles on it. It held up great considering a 250 pound kid rode it every day for years.

My Sedona is like new, so I put some tires and tubes on it, all I really need is a new seat thats wide enough for my big bones to get going good. I did a 22 mile ride last night for the first time since I was a teen. Felt good, my but is breaking in faster than expected, the Sedona seat is aftermarket. Some gel saddle, looks like a 155. Its too soft, but pretty good or the age, I thinks its 18 or so.

I live near a bike trail now, so I have a place to ride thats easy and paved. I'm looking forward to seeing some dirt by spring... hopefully. My legs are bulking up already, its time to get off my motorcycles and get the blood pumping.