View Single Post
Old 02-06-12, 10:20 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 80 Posts
The double worked out fine. I didn't struggle at all but I'm also far from anything close to spinning while climbing. I'll have some real tests for it and myself later this spring when the snow-line goes up above 4500 feet. There is a Cat 1 climb not to far away. There is also a much shorter Cat 2 across the valley. LOL @ Neal! Where I live I really have to go on long rides and seek out climbs of any significance. A broad valley between mountain ranges, not exactly flat but rather gently sloping. What I do have to deal with is wind so common for parts of the year that I refer to it as perma-wind. Nearly always 15-30 mph in the afternoons on days that it blows and that is about all spring, some of the summer and about half of fall. Winter is normally windless or nearly so and cold to bitter cold with fog and freezing fog sometimes for weeks on end. We also are almost a perfect rain shadow with little in the way of rain annually. Being able to do this ride during the first weekend of February on roads free of snow is quite remarkable. I'll take it !

Most of central Washington is similar in topography to where I live. That said the Puget Sound region, NE, Palouse, and SE, as well as the mt. ranges there are plenty of hills, mountains, and canyons. Just about everywhere but in the Columbia Basin, and most river valleys there is lots of contour.