View Single Post
Old 02-09-12, 01:54 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I always feel that the budget is what you make it. After the bike- my first investment was a helmet. Took a while but shorts and jersey were next. Both bought from the sales bins at various shops I always seemed to find in the towns I was visiting. For the cooler mornings--Never seemed to be cold when I started riding 20 years ago- I had a sports sweatshirt and a thin- almost useless- topcoat that was years old and at one time was wind and waterproof. Glasses were just my normal sunglasses. Fanny pack for the repair kit and Levers and a bit of food. Things like water bottles appeared and eventually a Spare tube and multitool. I just used to ride and as I rode with a few friends- never had the problem of breakdowns or mechanicals.

I still do a 100 mile ride with a wedge under the saddle that has a spare tube or two- repair kit and levers and nothing else. Only thing is that in the car before the start there will be a variety of topcoats that range from 100 to $300- a full tool kit and at least one complete set of riding clothing. The camelback has my energy drink in and the two water bottles are carried in bottle holders that cost $30 each and in the pocket of my $60 jersey are a few Vital food stuffs and gels that cost about $25. Should think that for an average distance ride my anciliaries are worth getting on for $500 so how did I get on 20 years ago?

Spike Milligan