View Single Post
Old 02-09-12, 01:58 PM
DarthSensate

Bikes: '90s GT AllTerra Timberline with GM hub motor, Raleigh Competition, '81 Lotus Super Pro Aero, Schwinn S-25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RLSchell
Mine is the Soneil model 2408CBA. As you may already be aware, when it finishes bulk charging it switches over to a mode where it delivers short pulses of charging voltage. As the battery voltage levels off, the pulses get further apart. When in maintenance status, it may only deliver a tiny zap to the battery for a fraction of a second only a couple times per minute. I've had several sets of batteries die while sitting for extended periods on this charger. Something is not quite right.
That may well be your issue there. The Soneil 2408CBA is not a conditioning battery charger. It does not appear to have a desulfation cycle. (Assuming I am reading the specs from Soneil correctly.) The pulse you are seeing may not be a desulfation pulse but the float charge test to to see if the battery needs to switch into a power charge cycle. SLA's NEED the desulfation/conditioning treatment all the time to counter the continuous sulfation of the lead plates that occurs with normal usage and especially under heavy usage near the current capacity of the cells.

I've never understood why so many SLA powered devices don't come with a charger that de-sulfates through the entire cycle. Any charger that doesn't do this leads to premature end of life of all lead acid cells. I just assume it's planned obsolescence. Perhaps a conspiracy?!!!

You need the Soneil SRF series, possibly the SR series as well, that will provide completely unattended charging and continuous desulfation. I looked at the 3610SRF myself but decided to go with the Granite Digital Save-A-Battery 36V. I have had zero issues with my batteries since. I went with the SAB just because it was a bit cheaper and appeared to be a lighter housing and well ventilated for carrying on the bike with me.

The 12v, 24v, 36v and 48v SAB's are available on Amazon for around $80 or direct from Granite Digital.
My review is on Amazon as well! :>

If you are still getting some miles out of your SLA packs, a de-sulfating, full automatic charger will clear a good percentage of the build up on the plates over a period of weeks. The longer you leave one on the closer you'll get to full capacity on the cells.

Optimate III is another model I have used for 12v cells and testing. Battery-Tender or Battery-Minder makes one too but I don't know the model.

Best wishes. Keep riding! :>
-DS