View Single Post
Old 02-09-12, 06:39 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mr Falchoon, since you expressed such an interest in a comparison, I thought I'd explain exactly why, after looking at the Ayup lights, I decided instead to take this route.

I'm not sure where that "The basic AYUP kit is nearly 1/2 price of Burton's setup. $250" comes from. A basic Ayup kit containing ONE dual light that can be EITHER bar mounted OR helmet mounted is $250AUD. Standard output is 400 lumens combined, or high output available on request. (560 lumens). But that affects all battery run-times and I want both high output AND long run-times.

A single Vision X unit (rated at 900 lumens but probably closer to 750 lumens each) that can be EITHER bar mounted OR helmet mounted is $120USD and a battery and charger was another $80USD. Mounting brackets were included with the lights and I chose not to use them.

You do appear to get more equipment and features for your $ with AYUP. The usefulness of some of that was debatable. You do get handlebar, helmet and head mounts for the Ayup light, but I wouldn't use them anyway. A mains charger is available for any battery and mine was included. Otherwise it was $20. A car charger is of no interest to me and an extension lead for the battery in case you want to put it in your jersey pocket or mount it somewhere else on the bike also came with my kit and I don't use it.

The red caps for the Ayup lights in case you want to use them as rear ones are a good idea, but then you have no front lights, or you need to buy the dual twin-lamp kit for $420AUD for two units. I have dual Cateye 80,000 candlepower rear lights installed already. They were $25 each and have a run-time of 60 hours continuous use or 120 in flashing mode on AAA batteries.

The Ayup battery is a 7.4V twin cell Lipo and not AA or similar generic type and would have no practical use for any other applications. It does have a high and low function, but thats not the same as a high and low beam. I'd like the beam pattern redirected and a beam cut-off incorporated for city use.

Flashing modes aren't needed on cars or motorcycles because the output is high enough and run-time isn't an issue and thats also where I'd like to end up. I managed to get 4 hours out of a single 450g Lipo battery running two lamps continuously (rated at 900 lumens but probably closer to 750 lumens each) and can fit two of those on a Cage Rocket so can't see battery monitoring to be an issue. In any case a spare is smaller than an iPhone.

Yup! Compact design and easily transferrable. It's a 20 second job to transfer the lights I'm using between bikes as well. The lights are small and suitable for either of my road bikes and fork mounting is an option that leaves the bars completely free. But a single helmet mount would probably be plenty in the city anyway.

The Ayup lights are slightly lighter, but the batteries are the heaviest part of both systems in either case. I'm willing to trade a little weight for additional performance and flexibility.

Warranty on these units limited lifetime on the housing and 10 years on the internals. There are dealers in both Canada and the USA to handle issues.

These lights are seriously brighter than the Ayups, definitely more important to a MTBer but perhaps of some interest to a commuter or roadie as well. Thats probably better considered a feature rather than am 'advantage'.

An advantage of these lights (to me) over the Ayup lights is that they are modular in design and can be linked together to create a high-powered lightbar that can be used on motorcycles as well as bicycles, and there a 12V system is a big plus as is lots more lumens. And weight would be a complete non-issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.jpg (47.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Burton; 02-12-12 at 11:23 AM.