Old 02-10-12, 10:32 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
someone suggested going the drum route instead, mounting it using a jubilee clip on the fork which would not require welding. sounds easy but also sounds less secure. also, how is the performance say of a Sturmey-Archer 90mm X-RD?

The 70mm Sturmey-Archer drums are reasonable on 700c or 26" wheels. Seeing as the stopping power of any kind of hub brake increases as the wheel diameter decreases, on a 20" or 16" folding bike wheel, a 70mm one will be more than adequate for your stopping power, never mind the 90mm one.

By the way, the X-RD is a 70mm rear drum brake hub, the 90mm front drum is an XL-FD (XL indicates 90mm drum, F indicates front). As I said, I'd suggest the 70mm X-FD, as the larger drum would probably be overkill on a small wheel .

You don't need to kludge anything with a jubilee clip, the drum hubs come with a special clip which is designed to allow easy removal of the wheel, but still be secure.

Edit, you must have posted while I was typing, that hub in your link is the one I was suggesting.