Old 02-10-12, 01:04 PM
drg

Bikes: Surly LHT, 1979? Austro Daimler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
36 Spoke, rim brake front wheel around Shimano Alfine dyno hub

Looking for a wheel builder in the South Bay Area (around San Jose) to build a touring wheel around a Shimano Alfine dyno hub, rim brakes. I went to a highly recommended shop/builder and was told that rim brakes not an option w/that hub. (I didn't ask his reasoning, and others tell me it's possible.) Instead he suggested using a SRAM i-light hub, and quoted me about $250. I liked the price, but couldn't find much online recommending that hub.
Other lbs staff tell me yes, rim brakes are an option w/ the Alfine hub. But also tell me 32 holes will be fine, that 36 holes "isn't really necessary, and 32 holes builds up more nicely."
My dilemma is: do I go with the shop that says I can't have the hub I want, but will give me my 36 spokes; or do I go with the shop that will build around the hub, but wants to give me only 32 spokes?
Best solution: Find a builder who knows what I'm after and will build it. (Unless I get an education here first, and realize that what I think I want isn't really a good idea.)