Must Go Faster

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9, BMC Road Racer SL01, Orbea Aletta TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultegra 6600 shifter issues

Got a few questions:
1) I'm highly consideing getting new shifters (or at least less used shifterx) for my bike which has older 6600 shifters. I have noticed that the shifting which used to be really good has gotten very clunky over the past few years (even when adjusted properly). Does anyone else notice this and do you think it would make a significant difference if I got new/newer shifters (I use the bike for racing and its relativly important for me to have well working equipment). The rear derailleur hanger is slightly bent (how much could this contribute to the problem?)

2) relating to the same issue, i was at a race about 2 weeks ago and my front shifter was jammed. I took it to the mechanic and as he was remounting the front cable, some little metallic piece came flying out of the shifter. I asked him what it was and he said it was a piece that held the front cable in place and that once there was no tension on the cable there would be nothing to hold it in place. Anyone have any idea what this is? After he lubed it and remounted everything, it seems to be working except for I have NO trim on the front anymore. Given the clunkyness, I'm afraid these shifters are on their last leg and are going to bust on me at an important race.

Am I over concerned or is it a good idea I search ebay for some new/better shape ones?