View Single Post
Old 02-13-12, 02:40 PM
Rainer_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More great info (please keep it coming)!

Originally Posted by Beach Comber
Those tires definitely are dried out. You'll want to replace them. I would also replace the rim strips and tubes, then keep the old tubes as spares. Patch them if necessary. Don't forget to carry tire levers, patch kit, and a pump on your ride.
Any tires you'd recommend? Can definitely replace the tubes when I replace the tires. What are the rim strips? Wife already bought us the levers, patch kit, and pump, so we're good there.

You'll probably also be more comfortable replacing the bar foam with new wrapping.
Just cut off the old foam and apply the wrapping? Same general application as say, racquet tape?

With adjustment, lubrication, new tires/tubes/strips, new wrap, new brake pads, be prepared to spend around $150. Even then, a 'tune-up' usually doesn't include repacking the headset and bottom bracket. And or course, they won't shine up all those alloy components until it looks like new again. You'll have to do that - cause you want don't want everyone thinking you ride your wife's hand-me-downs.
Gulp, a bit more than I was hoping to spend. What replacements would you consider essential vs. optional? Perfectly fine having an ugly bike.